Athletic Training Education Program
The mission of the NCCU Athletic Training Program is to prepare students to be professional, proficient, and effective individuals in the field of athletic training. This will be accomplished through classroom instruction and clinical experiences in a diverse educational and cultural environment, which will prepare students for taking the BOC exam. The Athletic Training Program is committed to promoting intellectual curiosity, ethical practice, critical thinking, and professional responsibility. Successful completion of this program and passing the BOC exam will qualify students to be employed in a variety of collegiate, professional, industrial, clinical allied health, and community settings.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To provide each student with an opportunity to develop skills as specified in the Competencies in Athletic Training for the following areas: Evidence Based Practice, Prevention and Health Promotion, Clinical Examination and Diagnosis, Acute Care of Injuries and Illnesses, Therapeutic Interventions, Psychosocial Strategies and Referrals, Healthcare Administration, and professional development and responsibility and integration of these competencies in the clinical setting.
- To continue to seek the highest quality in instructional techniques and clinical experiences and to provide all students with the opportunity to develop skills with equipment intensive patients individual and team sports, patients of different genders, non-sport patient populations and patients in primary care and medicine. or non-orthopedic settings.
- To offer clinical experience opportunities where students can apply the theory of the classroom to clinical practice.
- To promote ethical conduct by adhering to the NATA Code of Ethics- and Foundational Behaviors of professional Practice
- To expose athletic training students to other professionals in the field of sports medicine.
- To continue to evaluate the athletic training course work and clinical experiences.
- To prepare students for the BOC exam.